REVIEW OF BASAL BODY THERMOMETERS FOR OVULATION
Knowing exactly when ovulation has started or when it’s taking place is key to increasing your chances of getting pregnant. Just as it is key to getting pregnant, it is also a handy method used to prevent pregnancy and can also provide an important clue in knowing your fertility status. It is well established in the medical community that tracking your basal body temperature can enable you to track your ovulation in an effective way, and there is a smart way of doing this through a basal body thermometer. This review is dedicated to providing you with the facts you need to understand how basal body thermometers empower you towards procreation along with a review of some of the proven products available on the market today. We will first look at the basics to do with what exactly basal body temperature is, and then later proceed to a review of seven credible products on the market.
What exactly is basal body temperature?
Basal body temperature is pretty much a fancy term given to the lowest possible body temperature at rest. In this context, the ideal rest period is during sleeping hours. An estimation of this parameter is usually obtained by measuring the body temperature immediately after sleep and before involvement in any physical activity.
When it comes to the fair sex, ovulation results in a basal body temperature spike of 0.2 °C or 0.4F. This rise of BBT persists for 3 days when compared to the past 6 days making the estimation of ovulation only valid within the 3 day period. This temperature difference is caused by the hormonal changes that occur following the process of ovulation, and to be more specific, the dominance of a hormone called progesterone is the main cause of the difference. These temperature differences are charted over a course of time by means of the basal body thermometer either manually or with the help of a mobile app.
Basal body thermometers edge the conventional thermometers in the sense that they provide more accuracy in terms of temperature readings and can handle minor differences, which is a crucial factor when it comes to tracking ovulation. If you look at the temperature difference that comes with ovulation, it’s easy to notice that minute temperature values are involved and it will require an enhanced thermometer for effective monitoring. For instance, basal body thermometers can nail a precise reading of 65.42 F instead of a less accurate 65.4 F reading.
Having considered the basic terms and mechanisms underlying ovulation and basal body temperature, let’s leap forward and focus on the basal body thermometers.
What are the important factors to be considered when buying a basal body thermometer?
1. Does it have mobile app capabilities?
Manual charting can be a tedious process, and to be honest, most of us are not big fans of graphs and complex numeric figures. Thanks to technological advancements we have basal body thermometers which come with mobile applications which literally do the charting for you. Mobile capabilities allow you to worry more about interpreting the readings than getting caught up in trying to come up with accurate charts.
2. Is it a digital or analog thermometer?
Digital thermometers come in with a lot of things to be excited about when compared to their analog cousins. They are generally a breeze when it comes to taking the readings thus offering a faster way of obtaining your readings. They usually come in a solidly built casing and provide you with beeping options to let you know when the reading is done while some furnish you with additional smart options for mobile app connectivity. On the other hand, the need for batteries to power the thermometers and a higher price tag represent the obvious shortfalls of digital thermometers.
Analog thermometers usually come in glass for easy reading, making them not as durable as most digital thermometers. Another disadvantage is it takes more time for you to come up with the reading as they are generally slower. When it comes to the advantages, they are sort of a negation of digital thermometers disadvantages. They are less expensive and do not need any power source to operate thus keeping the pressure off your pockets.
3. Does it have the notification feature?
You surely don’t want to be in the dark when taking your measurements. Good gadgets give you feedback in terms of whether the process is done or not. A basal thermometer should let you know when the reading is done through beeping and some get as far as incorporating a vibration feature.
4. Is the display a good fit for your eyes?
Some displays can really force you to strain your eyes because of the small size and lack of clarity of content. Always make it a point to ensure the screen is wide enough and the readings are clear as this may pose a chance of having the reading misread. Other displays have a backlight that enables you to take your measurements in dim lighting situations and in the dark.
5. Does it have any memory?
Sometimes it’s impractical to chart the readings immediately after measuring the temperature. Working up late for work may not really provide you the opportunity to look at the graphs and analyze appropriately. This is where memory capabilities come in as you may simply save the outcome and incorporate it into the chart later. This simple feature can save you from having a number of days missed on your chart.
6. What are other people saying about the product?
The old saying ‘experience is the best teacher’ has a perpetual significance when it comes to choosing any technological tool. Actual experiences from real users give you a clue about the kind of experience the gadget is providing. It is wise to look at the customer reviews and judge from peoples experiences because no manufacturer will reveal the potential weaknesses associated with their product. Review sites usually provide scores based on the customer reviews and they are one of the greatest tools towards getting the best product for your needs.
At this point, we should have handled the first principles associated with basal body thermometers warranting a procession towards basal body thermometers on the market today.
BONGMI SMART START BASAL FEMOMETER
The past two decades have witnessed the budding of quite a number of promising start-up entities specializing in products related to health care. Bongmi has proven to be one of the companies making it big with an array of healthcare products. The femometer is one of their crowning products as it has achieved best-selling status. It seems like it boasts of an array of features bound to enhance your experience. Let’s put it in the spotlight and see if its worthy of your attention and your hard earned coin.
DESIGN AND KEY FEATURES
This basal body thermometer comes in a sleek, portable body that is covered by a removable cap. The product dimensions reveal a 4 x 0.7 x 0.5 inches combination and a lightweight of 0.64 ounces. The body of the thermometer terminates with a tip having a stainless steel temperature sensor. Overall, the design is delightful to the eye of anyone who is as concerned with the looks as they are concerned with the actual performance. Additionally, you are not limited to a single color as the basal body thermometer exists in a total of 5 colors namely: blue, gold, rose, purple and pink. Let us have an appreciation of the key functional features of this product.
- – It has an accuracy of ±0.09℉ enabling it to trace small changes in terms of body temperature.
- – It incorporates a stainless steel sensor
- – It has a 24digit data collection chip and thermistor to enhance performance.
- – It has an automatic turn on or off feature. The cap is functionally integrated with the system in such a way that taking it on or off automatically turns it on or off.
- – It has mobile phone connectivity. The basal body thermometer is synced with a mobile app that displays the readings and related information.
- – The application has an array of features which keeps track of a number of parameters including cervical fluid, weight, intimacy dates, and ovulation, among others.
– It has a high degree of accuracy.
– It incorporates memory features and a good storage space of about 300 BBT.
– The ability to be synced with mobile app provides for an excellent display which is highly customizable.
– It has a solid and durable build.
– The mobile app provides a delightful array of features that allow you to track much more than just ovulation.
– The package comes with a warranty of one year.
– Some mobile devices are not compatible with the mobile application.
The Bongmi smart start proves to be a gadget that is worth your consideration. It is clear that the positives outweigh the negatives especially after making sure that your device is compatible with the mobile application. Furthermore, the customer reviews from authority sites seem to be in favor of the device. A 3.9 customer review rate based on 197 customers from amazon reveal the confidence that current users in the device have.
WINK BY KINDARA FERTILITY THERMOMETER
Kindara holds the legacy of being among the pioneers in the basal body thermometer manufacturing industry. A lot of hype is associated with the company’s products and we have purposed it in this review to look at its features and other factors. Let us at once move forward and put it under the magnifying glass.
DESIGN AND KEY FEATURES
Like the Bongmi smart start thermometer, it comes in a sleek and comfortable body that is interrupted by a display in the middle. The display incorporates a backlight designed to provide clarity in low light situations.
– It has mobile device connectivity thus equipping you with an efficient way of charting the readings.
– The design is based on the conventional Fertility Awareness Methods (FAM).
– It incorporates memory capabilities.
– The app incorporates a feature that allows you to connect with other tech savvy women on issues to do with fertility awareness.
– Mobile connectivity allows for effective and highly customizable display to suit your personal needs.
– It has a sleek and comfortable build quality.
– The backlight also enhances its display quality profile. Being able to use it in rooms with low lighting is a plus.
– The vibration is a great notification feature that simplifies your ability to identify the appropriate temperature to record.
The Kindaras major shortfall is the lack of solidity in the build. The material is not as durable thus requiring extra care when in use.
All in all, the Kindara provides a package that combines efficiency and modern artistry. Considering its performance, the array of associated features, and generally positive customer reviews, it is a gadget that can provide a lot of value for the money. Based on 91 reviews, it seems the thermometer is busking in a good review rate of 3.7 stars out of 5 on Amazon.
HEALTH TREE SMART PERIOD TRACKER FERTILITY MONITOR
Health Tree seems to have raised its company profile with the invention of the Health Tree Smart Period tracker and fertility monitor. There seems to be a lot of claims relating to its popularity among medical practitioners and their tendency to recommend this basal body thermometer. Let’s have a quick appreciation of its highlights in terms of key features and other associated factors.
DESIGN AND KEY FEATURES
Overall, the design and build is quite a spectacle. The thermometer comes in a portable, thin body that is probably one of the sleekest you will ever encounter on the market.
KEY FUNCTIONAL FEATURES
– Like most of the top basal body thermometers we have seen so far, it has mobile connectivity capabilities. The thermometer connects to your smartphone through Bluetooth and a mobile application.
– It has a memory capable of storing up to 50 results. The collected information is uploaded on cloude storage almost instantly.
– The mobile application offers a number of valuable features including ‘reminding ovulation’ which informs your birth control planning.
– The package comes with a warranty of 12 months.
It boasts of a high degree of accuracy.
Mobile connectivity provides an excellent display and connection to a mobile app.
It has impressive storage capabilities through cloud data storage.
It has an array of reminders that assist with keeping up with the time.
Great warranty to guarantee above average quality
The mobile application does not make a provision for an option that allows you to input intimacy dates.
In general terms, this is without doubt a top notch basal body thermometer that combines superior design and an impressive feature pack. It has all the qualities of a good basal body thermometer and enjoys a good reputation based on 69 customer reviews on Amazon. It basically edges most thermometers with a 4.0 overall review rating out of 5.
EMAY SMART BASAL BODY THERMOMETER
EMAY has recently made it on the stage of basal body thermometer manufacturing as one of the most promising companies in this genre. The company specializes in producing innovative ways to enhance home health management.
The EMAY smart basal body thermometer was recently unveiled and is constantly proving to be among the top notch basal body thermometers which provide an effective tool during pregnancy planning. Let’s have a critical look into this gadget and see if it’s worth any of your attention.
DESIGN AND KEY FUNCTIONAL FEATURES
- It has the ability to provide readings in 0.01 degrees to enhance the accuracy of readings.
- It has mobile connectivity
- -It has a mobile app with a range of features which include reminders for the date of ovulation, menstrual and safe periods among others. The mobile app is downloadable from google play store
- It offers Apple IOS and Android 4.3 system compatibility.
- It has a 3month battery life.
- It offers a high degree of accuracy.
- It has a beautifully designed and advanced mobile application.
- It has a long-lasting and comfortable design.
- The one year warranty is more than enough to ensure you are protected and assured of quality.
The mobile application has compatibility issues with LG smartphones.
The EMAY smart basal body thermometer proves to be a top-notch basal body thermometer bound to provide a positive experience. In general terms, it is powered by quite an impressive array of smart features along with design craftsmanship. 187 amazon customer reviews showed a 4.1 average rating which is by no means a small fit.
iPROVEN CLINICAL BASAL THERMOMETER
Next up on our list of credible basal body thermometers is the iProven clinical basal thermometer. The thermometer is a product of the iproven brand which is a brand clearly committed to the development of top health care products. Let’s take a forward leap and consider this gadget.
DESIGN AND KEY FUNCTIONAL FEATURES
- It records readings to a 100th of a degree Celsius.
- It has a sleek and ultra-portable body.
- It has a beep notification feature.
- It has a wide display unit that keeps the most recent temperature readings until the thermometer is turned off.
- It has a one-minute waiting-time to come up with temperature readings.
- it is 100 percent waterproof.
- It has a proven high degree accuracy rating.
- It has a sleek and comfortable design
- The package comes with a 100 day free refund period.
- It comes with a plastic storage casing thus enhancing its safety profile.
- It lacks mobile connectivity.
- The display unit does not come with a backlight thus rendering it difficult to use in dim areas.
Though the gadget lacks some of the fancy features like advanced application features that come most top end thermometers, the overall performance warrants its consideration. It is certainly safe to conclude that the gadget provides enough value for the money it demands. When we take it to Amazon and look at the available customer review rating, there seems to be a 3.8 average rate based on 595 customer reviews.
THE ISNOW-MED THERMOMETER
The iSnow thermometer furnishes a good blend of style and function on the medical technology landscape. The thermometer is a spec of a hopeful step towards parenthood. Let’s see if it really deserves a place on this list
DESIGN AND KEY FUNCTIONAL FEATURES
– It has a one hundredth degree reading capacity. This basically means that it can detect and record minute temperature readings.
– It incorporates a memory feature that can record data for as far as sixty days.
– It has a LCD monitor that has backlight functionality.
– It has a clock and alarm feature that keeps you consistent in terms of the time you check your temperature readings on a daily basis.
- Top notch accuracy and efficiency.
- Excellent display unit with backlight functionality.
- Great memory feature.
- The alarm and clock feature offers more assistance in keeping you compliant.
- The display feature lacks waterproof capabilities.
- It lacks mobile connectivity.
The iSnow basal thermometer offers great option if you are not as interested in the fancy features offered by other top end thermometers. On an overall basis, the thermometer provides great value for the money as the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. 51 customer reviews on Amazon revealed an impressive 4.1 stars which is more than good enough.
THE BABYMAKER THERMOMETER
Probably one of the most eloquently named thermometers on the market today. The brand has an air of authenticity and purpose to it with a clear mission to enhance fertility, families and their future. The thermometer has a number of features worthy of consideration. Let’s plunge in and see if it lives up to its name.
– The thermometers system has the capability to provide temperatures of up to one-hundredth degree.
– It incorporates a memory feature that allows you to save you findings over a period of time.
-It has a durable casing made of plastic material.
– Portable and light weight.
– It comes with a comprehensive manual.
It has a portable and durable build quality.
High degree of accuracy.
Clinically proven to be effective
– Absent mobile connection capabilities.
– The display unit lacks a backlight.
The babymaker thermometer lives up to its name as it has a proven track record of efficiency and reliability. It may not be at the same par with most the top notch thermometers which are smart feature packed but it’s a tool that’s deserves attention for those who are looking to get something a little more basic. In reality, there seems to be a positive indication so far as the reviews show an average rating of 4.0 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
Choosing the right basal body thermometer begins with a basic understanding of what basal body temperature works and its relationship with the process of ovulation. Along with this is the awareness of the different features associated with basal body thermometers which then empowers you to choose the right gadget for your budget. Having gone through this review, we believe you are aware of all the necessary facts you need to make an informed decision.