What are the Top Primers for Oily Skin?
With these formulas, you can make your skin flawless for hours.
Harper’s Bazaar For oily skin, a primer is essential for flawless make-up. This Best Primer For Oily Skin will prevent your foundation from slipping and keep your skin smoother for longer.
Not only will a good mattifying primer tackle areas of high shine, but it’ll temper the appearance of fine lines and pores too, resulting in a smooth, unified complexion that doesn’t feel tight or become patchy.
When looking for your best primer match, consider the end result you’re hoping to achieve. You want a matte and silky texture with a silicone primer. These formulas glide over skin easily to blur lines and pores.
A primer that contains clarifying ingredients, such as salicylic acid or witch hazel, will help keep skin clean throughout the day. For those who are sensitive to redness or have skin that reacts easily, a green-tinted primer is an option. This will help create a foundation with a uniform base.
Formulas with heavy use of the matte
The majority of the oil-controlling primes in our A list have a dual purpose: to balance oil, and also promote natural skin texture. There are a few products which can achieve a matte finish, but you may prefer a more natural look.
Continue scrolling for the top primers to oily skin.
Sephora’s Best Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer
The lightweight pick glides on effortlessly and stays in place all day.
Although Maybelline’s primer is a good option for budget-minded customers, it doesn’t feel as effective as some of its more expensive counterparts.
This long-lasting pick can even be worn through an evening run.
Nars primer removes any extra sebum and leaves a matte finish.
Top Primers for Oily Skin to Mattify Shine
Make your skin look shine-free and flawless.
Images courtesy of Brands There is a big difference between glowing skin and oily skin.
Oily skin often creates a constant battle to keep your makeup from melting off, exacerbated in hot weather and humidity. Here’s how to fix it:
“Making makeup lasts longer than primers for paint is possible by applying makeup primers after using skincare products, before foundation and prior to makeup,” Vincent Oquendo, makeup artist. This cosmetic formulation uses silicones to “spackle” or temporarily fill in textural imperfections such as wrinkles and pores. Specially formulated makeup primers for oily skin contain “absorbent particulates” that absorb oils and give the skin a powdery texture. Good Housekeeping Institute Beauty Lab Birnur aral, Ph.D., says these ingredients are good for keeping skin shiny and free from oil.
The GH Beauty Lab’s history includes testing cosmetic primers to assess their effectiveness in reducing pore size and ease of application. In the most recent primer test, consumers of a variety of skin types, including oily, evaluated them for ease of use, performance and overall satisfaction. Below, we’ve rounded up the best primers mattifying primers for oily skin based on GH Beauty Lab testing, editor favorites and top-reviewed picks, including drugstore buys:
Best Primers For Oily Skin
Top oily-skin primers are listed below.
- Lotus Makeup Ecostay insta Smooth Perfecting Primer is a gel-based, weightless primer that’s herbal-based. It helps you keep your makeup put on for at least 4-5 hours. It improves skin texture and helps to reduce pores and the appearances of scarring. It’s also non-comedogenic, with the gel being ideal for those with sensitive skin.
- Miss Claire Studio Perfect Pro Makeup Primer Anti Redness. This primer helps conceal blemishes as well as dark spots and wrinkles. It also neutralizes any existing redness.
- Maybelline New York’s Face Studio Master Blur Primer Primer, Smooth white This cream-based primer works great for both oily and combination skin. This cream-based primer softens and smoothes the skin. This product has received an allergy test approval stamp.
- Faces Ultime Pro Perfecting Primer This primer by Faces is a smooth formula which makes it easy to apply. The the lightweight texture means you do not feel it on your skin once applied. The primer is smooth when it’s applied but matte once the product has dried. You get a great even complexion because the primer is lightly tinted.
- Blue Heaven Studio Perfection Primer, Clear This super affordable primer from Blue Heaven is a crowd favourite, when it comes to a budget option. Amazon has given it 4/5 stars. This is a great primer to use if you want to keep your makeup on place and not spend too much.
Best Primers For Oily Skin That Erase Pores
When you’re always running from place to place, the best beauty routine is one thing: quick. There’s a small trick that you can add to your beauty routine if you have very oily or large pores. Primer is lightweight powder or liquid product. This can be applied right after your moisturizer. The benefits of primer are great, according to Annie Tevelin (makeup artist, founder of SkinOwl). Samantha Welch, a Massachusetts esthetician and makeup artist, said that primer prevents excess oil from causing makeup to slide, crease, or break down. This primer can also be used to reduce texture imperfections and improve other imperfections, like large pores or fine lines.
There are many primers on the market, but not all primers will work for you. If you have oily skin, look for keywords like lightweight, oil-free, mattifying, and oil control when shopping, says Welch. Also, you should stay away from products that are rich in oils or shea butter. This can lead to excessive oil and can clog your pores. For best results, prepare the skin first before applying any primer. Welch stated that oily skin will tend to look thicker and more dull due to slower cell turnover. Welch recommends using an AHA/BHA clay face mask or good clay cleanser once a week. After removing excess oil, apply a moisturizer that is light and hydrating, then set the powder. Is your skin ready for this? You’re ready?
Have oily skin? Get a shine-free look with these 15 matte primers
You deserve to shine bright like a diamond , but if you have oily skin, you may not want your complexion taking the spotlight . A good primer is your new friend, your foundation’s best antecedent. Primers have always been controversial. Today, however, there are many positive aspects to primers. These benefits include the ability to reduce the appearance fine lines and wrinkles, create a smooth foundation for makeup application and even out skin tone. They also make pores smaller and give the skin a youthful glow.
For your makeup to adhere to, a good primer will make it mattify. It will keep your makeup looking great even on the hottest summer days. The oil and shine of your makeup will be significantly diminished so you don’t need to reach for the setting powder or blotting paper throughout the day.
What Primer is Best for Oily Skin?
Short Summary: The Best Primer for Oily Skin. Lakme Absolute Blur Perfect Primer. Revlon Photoready Perfecting Primer.NYX Professional make-up studio Perfect Primer.Colorbar Perfect match Primer.e.l.f. Mineral Infused Face Primer.Blue Heaven Studio Perfection Primer, Clear.Insight Primer Face Gel.
Is Primer Suitable for Oily Skin?
According to makeup artist Brittany Lo, the purpose of a primer is to — you guessed it — prime and smooth out pores prior to applying foundation. … To start, Lo recommends that oily skin types opt for a mattifying primer, one that will help conceal shine, grease, and excess buildup before your makeup application.
Which primer is best for oily or acne-prone skin?
- NYX Professional Makeup Honey Dew Me Up Primer.
- Nykaa Prep Me Up!
- Lakme Absoluteblur Perfect Makeup Primer
- Maybelline New York Face Studio Master Redness Control Primer.
- L’Oreal Paris Base Magique Transforming Primer
- Swiss Beauty’s Real Make-Up Base Highlighting Primer.
Are Water-Based Primers Good for Oily Skin?
Silicone tends to leave a more shiny residue, but water-based primers are less oily and mattifying. This is why it’s great for oily skin.